Tuesday, November 9, 2010

One Thing

“Ask and it shall be given to you; seek and you shall find...For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds” Matthew 7: 7

This time of year it seems as if everyone starts to think about what they “need” (or want) for Christmas. We drop hints to friends and family or just ask our parents outright for what we think they should get us. One of my favorite Christian singers and composers, the late Rich Mullins, wrote a song a number of years ago entitled, “My One Thing”. I always think of this song about this time of year and I want to share with you some of the words.

They go: “Everybody I know says they need just one thing. And what they really mean is they need just one thing more. And everybody seems to think they got it coming. Well, I know that I don’t deserve You, Still I want to love You more and more...You’re my one thing! Save me from those things that might distract me. Please take them away and purify my heart. I don’t want to lose the eternal for the things that are passing. Cause what will I have when the world is gone, if it isn’t for the love that goes on and on...you’re my one thing!

Take stock of all the things you have right now. Is what you need one more thing? Will one more thing really make you happy? Will one more thing bring you peace? What all of us need (myself included) is to deepen our relationship with Jesus Christ. Presents and “things” are not evil, but when we look to them for our happiness, instead of to God, we “lose sight of the eternal for the things that are passing”.

This coming Advent and Christmas, reflect on what you think will make you happy. Ask yourself if what you think you need is actually blocking Who you really need. Just as we ask our parents for good things and they try to give them to us, so will God give us good things (like peace, joy, love, grace, happiness, etc.) if we come to Him in prayer and ask Him for them. There’s only ONE THING we really need in life: Jesus! Open wide the doors of your heart to Him! He’s waiting for you.

Dear Jesus, You are my one thing! I know that my heart cannot be satisfied with anything but You. Give me the grace to yearn for and seek after only You all the days of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment