Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Welcome

Well, here I go--out into the world wide web of blogging. I think a lot of people resist using blogging for evangelization because it seems to blur the lines between narcissism and actually trying to reach people. But I recently felt led in prayer to begin this journey, so I am obeying.

First of all, why the name "Created for Greatness"? I want to write primarily for teens and those working with them. And I wanted something hopeful and positive when faced with a world steeped in cynicism and despair. And I wanted something really Catholic. On my facebook page I have a quote by Pope Benedict XVI where he said to a group of young people "The world can offer you comfort, but you were not created for comfort. You were created for greatness." This is where I got the title and it sums up the entire message I have been giving to teens over the past 18 years of doing youth ministry. It should also be noted that this means not all of the posts will leave the reader (or the writer) comfortable. But I will try to be positive as much as possible.

I hope that this blog will glorify God and edify my younger brothers and sisters and those that work with them. The format will be to post (hopefully daily) brief observations on life, the culture, Scripture, etc with an evangelistic approach. Pope John Paul II called the space between who we are and who we are called to be a "threshold of hope". I pray that these insignificant musings may be an avenue of inspiration and grace for those that read them to help you cross that threshold from day to day.

I'm not posting anything here to get into debates or arguments, but feel free to leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment